Monday, January 3, 2011

His Compassions Never Fail

Lamentations 3:19-24 (NIV)

 19 I remember my affliction and my wandering,
   the bitterness and the gall.
20 I well remember them,
   and my soul is downcast within me.
21 Yet this I call to mind
   and therefore I have hope:

 22 Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed,
   for his compassions never fail.
23 They are new every morning;
   great is your faithfulness.
24 I say to myself, “The LORD is my portion;
   therefore I will wait for him.”


I've decided to start the new year by reflecting on a less-than-joyful book, Lamentations. Why? Because amidst the pain, suffering, and cries for help, there is much hope. A hope that is not dependent upon one's own strength or ability. But rather upon the consistent and everlasting goodness of God. He restores and heals because of His great love despite the situation and in spite of our actions or inaction.

In these six verses of Lamentations 3, we see a common human attribute, complaining, and the divine response, love. It seems that for many people, doesn't matter how well things are, there are always something to complain about. From the rich to the poor. From the healthy to the sick. From people in first world countries to those living in the Third World. We all can help something to be dissatisfied with, either in the present, past, or future.

Yet, God's response to our complaints and ungratefulness is to continue pouring blessings and love into our lives. It says in verse 22 and 23 that  "his compassions never fail. They are new every morning. Great is your faithfulness." Despite how unfaithful we are to God. Despite how ungrateful we are to His love. He remains faithful and loving towards us.

In this coming new year, there is much hope for the new and improved. There is much hope of change for the better. But there will be times of trouble and pain. What is our response in light of God's everlasting love? I hope we can truly say that "The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him." (vs. 24) Why? Because of His great love, we will not be consumed by our failures, our pain, and our sins. He has won victory over these things through His death on the cross. Let us rejoice and be glad in it.

Something To Think About:

  1. What has been burdening on your heart lately? What are something problems or pain that does not seem to work themselves out?
  2. What are some ways to "wait on the Lord"? What does this entail?

No comments:

Post a Comment